Tuesday 14 May 2013

from a work in progress


It was easy money, even easier because business was so slow. Christmas had been a washout, then there was that big storm. No tourists. They had stopped giving tips, anyway, austerity was affecting the hospitality industry the same as everything else. I could have done with the extra cash. There were never enough books in the library, I had started buying my own. D’Mello’s ‘Language and Identity in Bilingual Settings’, all fifty quid’s worth, was open on the counter. I’d had to crack the spine to get it to lie flat. I needed to reacquaint myself with Discourse Management for my next assignment. The plan was simply to get my Masters. There was no plan after that. It was proving difficult. I seemed to get sidetracked too easily. Men, the kind that you thought you could depend on, had a lot to do with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment